Serves: 5-8 (16 pancakes)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Enjoying pancakes for dinner is a fun way to get everyone involved in getting the meal on the table. Top it off with a colourful and tasty salsa!
- 1 cup (250 mL) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cornmeal
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each baking soda and salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) each grated zucchini and corn kernels
Bean, Corn and Tomato Salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 vine ripened tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) corn kernels
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola or olive oil
- Pinch each salt and pepper
How to Prepare:
Bean, Corn and Tomato Salsa: In a bowl, stir together beans, tomato, corn, onion and garlic. Add oil, salt and pepper; stir to combine and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together all purpose, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt; set aside.
In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg and butter. Pour over flour mixture and whisk until combined but still slightly lumpy. Stir in cheese, zucchini and corn.
Spray large nonstick skillet or griddle with some cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Pour batter using 1/4 cup (50 mL) measure and spread out slightly to form pancakes. Cook until bubbles begin to appear on top, about 3 minutes. Flip over and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute. Remove to plate and repeat with remaining batter.
Serve topped with salsa.
Older Kids’ Tasks: chop tomato, onion and mince garlic help pour and flip pancakes
Younger Kids’ Tasks: measure out ingredients and grate carrot and zucchini stir together pancake batter and salsa