Serves: 8-1 cup (250 mL) servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Pureed together, vegetables can create a smooth texture that almost mimicks that of using cream in soups. This soup is a great way to pack many veggies into one pot!
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 slices side bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups (750 mL) chopped broccoli
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 5 cups (1.25 L) vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded old cheddar or gruyere cheese
How to Prepare:
Measure out 3 cups (750 mL) of the cauliflower and set aside. Toss remaining cauliflower with oil, salt and pepper. Spread onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 20 minutes or until golden. Set aside.
In a soup pot, cook bacon over medium heat until slightly crispy. Add onion, garlic and thyme; cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until softened. Stir in broccoli, reserved 3 cups (750 mL) of cauliflower florets and potato. Pour in broth and bring a boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
Using an immersion blender, or alternatively in blender puree soup until smooth. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish with roasted cauliflower to serve.
Older Kids’ Tasks: chop cauliflower and broccoli into small florets, chop onion and bacon puree the soup
Younger Kids’ Tasks: shred the cheese, toss the cauliflower and place on baking sheet, peel potato and press buttons using appliances